• Township Office 717-354-5593  |  
  • Police Non-Emergency 717-355-5302

East Earl Township, Lancaster County Pennsylvania, ..... where Heritage is Growing

MS4 Pollution Reduction Plan - Draft

East Earl Township is making available the MS4 Program, Pollutant Reduction Plan (PRP) for Conestoga River in electronic format. The downloadable document is being provided in DRAFT form at the links below.

East Earl PRP ~ Draft ( 527MB PDF)


Trouble viewing the above file? The same PDF has also been provided below in a compressed, smaller file to allow those with slower internet connections to access the file. Maps provided in this version may appear slightly blurred at magnified view but otherwise contain all the information provided in this release.

East Earl PRP ~ Draft (Smaller file 35MB PDF)

Zoning & Building Permits

East Earl Zoning Map

The PDF made available here is the current zoning map for regions managed by East Earl Township. Please note, Terre Hill Borough manages the zoning regions within its jurisdiction.

Zoning Map for East Earl Township 2014 (PDF)

Zoning Hearing Board Application

Zoning Hearing Board Application (PDF)

Purpose of the Zoning Hearing Board (PDF)

Building Permit Application

The following document is provided by the East Earl Township as the application for plan examination, building permit and certificate of occupancy.

The PDF file must be printed, completed and returned to the Township office for review.

Building Permit Application (PDF)


Ordinance 189 Assignment of building numbers 1-2015

Ordinance 189 Assignment of building numbers 1-2015 (PDF)

Proposed Amended and Restated Zoning Ordinance 2017

East Earl Township’s proposed Amended and Restated Zoning Ordinance is now available for viewing. The latest version of these documents can be be found below in PDF form.

EAST EARL - 2017 Amended and Restated East Earl Township Zoning Ordinance - version 10) (PDF)


Do I need a permit for...

A FENCE - Yes. The Township regulates where you may place fences.

A PATIO - Yes. A zoning permit for location is required because setbacks from the property line apply. No building permit or inspections are required. However, if you plan to use the patio as a foundation for a room addition you will need a permit. The footing inspection will prove that your patio is anchored down at the frost line and not just a "floating slab."

A BARN - Yes. A building permit is required because setbacks from the property line apply. However, all agricultural buildings are exempt from building permits (building codes).

REPLACEMENT ROOF - Yes, if you have a dwelling and are changing the slope of the roof or adding dormers (windows). No, if you have a dwelling and just replacing shingles (re-roofing) or applying a rubber roof. Yes, if it is a non-residential building.

HOT TUB/SPA - Yes. Hot tubs and spas are covered under the Pennsylvania Uniform
Construction Code and require a building permit and inspection.

A UTILITY SHED - Yes. Any residential accessory building requires a  permit. Setbacks from the property line apply.

FINISHING A BASEMENT - Yes. A building permit is required to finish an area in the basement as a room addition. If the area includes a bedroom, an egress (escape) window or door to the outside is required. Any structural alteration to the dwelling for an egress requires a building permit and inspections.

A DECK - Yes. All deck structures require a building permit.

A PRIVATE WALKWAY (SIDEWALK) - Contact the Zoning Officer for direction.    Public pedestrian sidewalks always require a permit, since they must be constructed to a certain standard. 

REPLACEMENT WINDOWS/DOORS - No. If the opening in the wall is not enlarged, no permit or inspection is required. Yes. If you are making an opening where there was none before or making an existing opening larger, a building permit is required.

Right to Know - Open Records Policy

All documents deemed public records are available for inspection, retrieval and duplication at the Township office during established business hours with the exception of holidays. Requests shall be made in writing to the Township Open Records Officer on a form provided by the Township or the PA State form.

Continue Reading